An exciting and rare opportunity has arisen to join one of the biggest FMCG retailers as a Deputy Head of External Communications (Corporate Communications) business partnering into the food and drink leadership team.
This role will deputise to the Head of External Communications with a long term succession plan, with the overall purpose being to plan and deliver an external communications and media relations strategy to enhance and protect reputation, build support for and drive trust and relevance.
A household name in the FMCG, Food & Drink and Retail space, this company is one of the UK’s biggest, most loved brands. They continue to ensure they are ahead of the competition with regular new initiatives and product developments, which have led to strong financial results last year. The company is in the midst of a business transformation with communications playing a huge part so it’s a really exciting time to join.
The company HQ is London based (not always a given with in house roles) and there is a great benefits package including generous pension contribution, £5,000 yearly car allowance that can be taken as cash, 28 days annual leave with the option to buy an extra 10, life insurance, season ticket loan, 20% off purchases and competitive share option schemes.
The culture is trusting and flexible – as long as you get your work done, there’s no clock watching - giving you an incredible work life balance on top of a great benefits package that ensures employee retention remains incredibly strong.
The Role – Deputy Head of External Communications
In this role, you’ll deputise to the Head of External Communications, taking on the creation and delivery of the external communications and media plan, in addition running of the busy press office function at a senior level. This is a leadership role that will see you business partnering with some of the most senior members of the relevant leadership team. You must have recent and regular experience of hands on, frontline media relations (reactive and proactive) with strong media handling skills.
We are looking for someone with corporate communications experienced gained in house (sector wise, Food, FMCG/retail preferred) who is adept at stakeholder engagement/management and working with integrated teams as part of an in house comms function.
A full job spec can be provided on application however some key responsibilities will include:
- Take on a broader role in the management of the department including guidance to members of the team, engagements with senior editors and correspondents on a broad range of issues and management of key strategic projects as per direction of the Head of External Communications
- Line managing a Senior Press Officer and with their support, create and deliver the external communications and media plan including proactive media relations, thought leadership speaker platforms, insight-led campaigns to communicate the company’s position on sustainability issues including plastics, health and food waste
- Work closely with other relevant teams e.g. Public Affairs, Consumer PR to ensure a joined-up approach across policy, advocacy, stakeholder outreach, media and channel activity
- Act as deputy to Head of External Communications to ensure the successful operation of the External Communications team as a specialist central support function
You will have:
- A background in corporate communications gained in house at a fast paced consumer facing business. Sector-wise: FMCG, food, retail preferred
- Hands on experience of front-line media engagement (reactive and proactive) and running a major press office at a senior level
- Experience of managing senior stakeholders
- Strong media contacts across a range of outlets
- Experience of handing sensitive issues in the media and experience of acting as a company spokesperson
For more information on this exciting opportunity please Apply Now!
Click ‘Apply Now’ to be considered for this opportunity or share this message with a friend that might be interested and you could be eligible for our referral reward scheme!
Please note due to the high volume of applicants if you have not heard from one of us here in team London you have unfortunately not been selected on this occasion, we may be in touch in the future with other opportunities
Capstone Hill: Public & media relations, corporate & public affairs, digital, marketing communications, stakeholder, government & investor relations. Working across UK & Europe, North America, the Middle East, Asia and Australasia.
New York – Chicago – Los Angeles – London – Sydney – Melbourne
Fill the form below to apply for this role: