Title: Account Manager or Account Director, Legal PR Communications
Industry: Integrated Public Relations
Location: New York City or San Francisco or DC
**PR Agency experience is a must**
Our client, a prominent award winning integrated public relations firm is seeking a skilled media relations professional with exceptional client management skills and a fluent understanding of the B2B professional services space.
The Account Manager is primarily responsible for developing strategic public relations initiatives on behalf of the firm’s clients and managing their account teams in the execution of those initiatives.
This individual applies their advanced media relations skills and subject matter expertise to execute large, complex projects with limited oversight from their supervisor. Relying on communication, critical thinking and decision-making skills, the Account Manager plays an active role in day-to-day client liaison and account management. They also line manage junior professionals to ensure clients receive a consistently high level of attention and professional service.
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage multiple projects for multiple clients from concept to completion by anticipating challenges, troubleshooting problems, proposing solutions, offering client counsel, overseeing quality, and ensuring deadline and budget adherence.
- Demonstrate understanding of key client information, including business strategy, industry issues, products and services, key clients and competitors.
- Keep your team and account manager/lead informed of all client issues and developments.
- Develop key messages and effective media pitches on timely news issues; send pitches to journalists and follow up to secure opportunities.
- Take lead on client service administration activities, including preparing client status and activity reports; attending meetings, events and conference calls; tracking for and compiling media coverage; and coordinating interview scheduling.
- Demonstrate the ability to write, edit and proofread to create high quality internal and external content, including client communication, press releases, marketing collateral and award submissions.
- Contribute to creation of strategic media plans to meet client objectives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key journalists in person and via phone and email.
- Identify trends and developments to leverage for clients and prospects.
- Conduct background research on journalists in advance of interviews and/or meetings.
- Supervise day-to-day performance of account team and effectively manage account assignments and projects, delegating to junior colleagues when relevant and ensuring timely communication regarding progress.
- Serve as a line manager for interns, Junior Account Executives and Account Executives; provide onboarding support, training and ongoing feedback and participate in reviews.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 4 years’ PR/communications work experience with at least one year in an account and team management role.
- Highly curious, creative and self-motivated, with superior critical thinking, communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Proven track record of successfully implementing a variety of creative and effective public relations initiatives that have generated measurable results for clients in the professional services industry.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, interact with clients, maintain relationships with journalists and motivate team members.
- Professional, outgoing and client service oriented.
- Detail-oriented and work effectively under pressure while meeting all applicable deadlines.
- Skilled with media database software (Cision) and research tactics.
- Knowledge of AP style.